Fit & Fly Girl Morocco
September 16 - 23, 2017
Join us for Fit & Fly Girl Morocco, which will be held September 16 - 23, 2017. The first 5 nights of the retreat will be held at a private riad in Marrakesh, and the last 2 nights of the retreat will be held at a luxury desert camp located approximately 45 minutes outside the city. Your host for the retreat will be Fit & Fly Girl founder, Rebecca, and your fitness leader will be personal trainer, Ella.
Morocco is a country in North Africa with a fascinating history, combining an influence of European, Arab, and African cultures. Our time in Morocco will be concentrated in and near Marrakesh, a city known for its vibrant atmosphere of entertainment, shopping, and food. Like many Moroccan cities, Marrakesh has a medina (an old city with vendors and stalls) and has the largest traditional souk (market) in Morocco. Marrakesh offers its visitors an amazing sensory overload experience, best summed up by fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent who said, "This city taught me color."
Please note that while a head scarf is not necessary to be worn in Morocco, women should cover their shoulders and wear modest clothing (skirts or pants below the knee) while outside.
Riad Sapphire (September 16 - 21, 2017)
Fit & Fly Girl Morocco guests will stay at the posh Riad Sapphire located in the Marrakesh medina, which has been privately rented out for our group.
Riad Sapphire is owned by two British sisters who oversaw the restoration of the riad, hiring local skilled artisans to create woven fabrics, plasterwork, and woodwork by hand. The result is a combination of modern interiors with Moroccan details and craftsmanship that provides a chic respite from Marrakesh's medina.
Each of Riad Sapphire's eight air-conditioned suites include an ensuite bathroom. Riad Sapphire has a swimming pool, an on-site spa and hammam with a range of Moroccan-inspired spa therapies, two marble courtyards with fountains, and a salon with fireplace. The riad's rooftop terrace offers seating with views of the Marrakesh medina and the Atlas Mountains.
Riad Sapphire offers daily housekeeping, organic toiletries, a 24-hour front desk, satellite TV, complimentary WiFi, and the use of a mobile phone during your stay (with a refundable deposit). The riad is located in the northwestern corner of Marrakesh's medina, which is a 15 minute walk to the Djemaa el Fna square and the souk and a 20-25 minute walk to the palace museums.
Scarabeo Camp (September 21 - 23, 2017)
Fit & Fly Girl Morocco guests will spend the last 2 nights of the retreat "glamping" at Scarabeo Camp, a luxury desert camp located in the stone desert of Agafay, approximately one hour outside of Marrakesh.
Each of Scarabeo's tents have either one queen size bed or two twin beds, depending on the type of accommodation chosen. The tents have a traditional Moroccan lounge area; a stretched cotton panel at the entrance to each tent with two chairs; a private, Western toilet; and an ensuite shower tent, Berber-style (one hot and one cold bucket of water to rinse off). In addition to the Berber-style showers in each tent, two tents with a "real shower" will be available at Scarabeo for the use of all guests. Breakfast and lunch will be served outside under the shade of a hand-woven canopy, and dinner will be enjoyed around a candlelit table in the dining tent.
Guests will be transported via private group shuttle from Riad Sapphire to Scarabeo on the afternoon of Thursday, September 21st. On the morning of Saturday, September 23rd, guests will be transported via private group shuttle from Scarabeo Camp to the Marrakesh airport (RAK).
Please note that other guests will be staying at Scarabeo Camp alongside Fit & Fly Girl guests.
Fitness/Yoga Classes, Activities, and Excursions
Fit & Fly Girl Morocco will be a cultural retreat incorporating a once-daily fitness component. Each morning before breakfast, either one fitness class or one yoga class will be offered, allowing the group to fully immerse itself in the Moroccan culture for the rest of the day. Personal trainer, Ella, will lead fitness classes, and a local yoga instructor will teach yoga classes.
Activities in Marrakesh will include guided tours of cultural attractions in the city, led by an English-speaking private guide, Mustapha Chouquir, who has served as a guide for celebrities such as Alec Baldwin and Maggie Gyllenhaal. In addition to tours around the medina and the souk, Mustapha will also lead the group on a tour of Yves Saint Laurent's gardens, Jardin Marjorelle.
In addition to guided tours, activities will include a private belly dancing lesson for the group, a Moroccan cooking class, receiving an organic henna tattoo, and a complimentary traditional hammam and massage. There will also be several opportunities to shop the Marrakesh souk and local boutiques filled with unique clothing, jewelry, and gift items. On the last night in Marrakesh, the group will go out to dinner at Comptoir Darna, a restaurant, lounge, and nightclub, which features belly dancing during meals.
One day during the retreat, the group will travel with a private guide to the Atlas Mountains outside Marrakesh to explore local Berber villages. While at Scarabeo, Fit & Fly Girl guests will enjoy a morning yoga class taught by a local yoga instructor and a camel ride in the desert. In addition, Scarabeo also offers the complimentary use of kites, lawn bowling and board games for guests' enjoyment.
Breakfasts at Riad Sapphire will consist of eggs, crepes, fruit, homemade yogurt, bread, preserves, fresh orange juice, mint tea, and coffee. While one lunch and one dinner will be held at local restaurants in Marrakesh, other meals will be prepared by the chef at Riad Sapphire, consisting of traditional Moroccan food such as Couscous with Chicken and Apricots or Tagine with Lemon Chicken and Olives. Likewise, at Scarabeo Camp, guests will dine on traditional Moroccan cuisine, including seasonal vegetables and bread baked in a traditional earthly oven. Vegetarians can be accommodated at both Riad Sapphire and Scarabeo Camp.
Pricing and Reservations
Fit & Fly Girl Morocco includes the following:
- Seven nights accommodations in Morocco (5 nights at Riad Sapphire in Marrakesh and 2 nights at Scarabeo Camp)
- Breakfasts, lunches, and dinners
- One fitness class or yoga class each morning, including one morning yoga class in the Moroccan desert
- Private guided tours offered by celebrity tour guide Mustapha Chouquir to sites in Marrakesh
- Day trip to the Atlas Mountains to visit Berber villages
- Camel ride in the Moroccan desert
- Private belly dancing lesson for the group
- Cooking class featuring local Moroccan cuisine
- Guided tour of Yves Saint Laurent's garden, Jardin Marjorelle
- Organic henna tattoo
- Shopping trips to the souk and boutiques in Marrakesh
- One traditional hammam and one massage
- Complimentary WiFi at Riad Sapphire (Please note that WiFi will not be available at Scarabeo Camp due to its remote location in the desert)
- Group airport transportation from Scarabeo Camp to Marrakesh airport (RAK)
- Round trip transportation to all group activities and excursions during the retreat
- Swag bag with gifts curated by Fit & Fly Girl
Fit & Fly Girl Morocco is priced as follows:
- Triple Occupancy Room (twin bed) at Riad Sapphire; Double Occupancy Tent (twin bed) at Scarabeo Camp - $3,200 per person
- Triple Occupancy Room (queen bed) at Riad Sapphire; Double Occupancy Tent (twin bed) at Scarabeo Camp - $3,400 per person
- Double Occupancy Room (twin bed) at Riad Sapphire; Double Occupancy Tent (twin bed) at Scarabeo Camp - $3,700 per person
- Double Occupancy Room (queen bed) at Riad Sapphire; Double Occupancy Tent (twin bed) at Scarabeo Camp - $3,900 per person
- Single Occupancy Room (queen bed) at Riad Sapphire; Double Occupancy Tent (twin bed) at Scarabeo Camp - $4,900 - SOLD OUT
- Single Occupancy Room (queen bed) at Riad Sapphire; Single Occupancy Tent (queen bed) at Scarabeo Camp - $5,300 - SOLD OUT
Rates do not include airfare to and from Marrakesh; transportation from Marrakesh airport to Riad Sapphire; alcoholic beverages; one lunch and one dinner during the retreat, which will be held at local restaurants in Marrakesh; additional spa treatments or supplemental activities; or optional gratuities for fitness leader, spa therapists, or staff.
We have a limited number of spaces available, so contact us here or at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot for Fit & Fly Girl Morocco!